Welcome! The Merritt College Landscape Horticulture Department and its programs & resources are among the largest in northern California. Our 7.5 acre facility includes:
- 5,000 square feet of computerized greenhouses,
- a 5,000 square foot lath house,
- floral and drafting labs,
- a specialized resource library,
- a rapidly expanding arboretum,
- a rapidly expanding Permaculture installation, and
- the most up-to-date horticulture equipment.
Our programs are designed to prepare students for careers in any of the major horticultural disciplines–including landscape design and construction, nursery and greenhouse management, floral production and design, turf management, and arboriculture, to name just a few.
Graduates are employed by city, county and regional parks departments; the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans); county, state and federal agricultural agencies; school and college districts; botanical gardens; golf courses; pest control contractors; landscape contractors; retail and wholesale nurseries; and florist shops. Many become self-employed in landscape design, contracting and/or managment. Entry salaries vary considerably depending on skill level and geographic location.
Merritt College offers you many other benefits that make us the first choice of over 5,000 students each year.
- Academic excellence. Our over 45 year tradition of academic excellence is most prominently manifested by our distinguished alumni and the faculty who taught them. Merritt and academic successes are synonymous.
- Supportive environment. Merritt cares. You can be assured that small classes, caring faculty, friendly admissions staff, and first-class support services will make the difference to you.
- Great location. The campus is nestled in the scenic Oakland hills with a panoramic view of the San Francisco Bay and out through the Golden Gate and beyond. A safe, clean and cheerful environment awaits your ascent to Merritt’s opportunities for academic success.
Prospective degree, certificate and transfer students may confer with the counselor for Landscape Horticulture through the Merritt College Counseling Department in Student Services, Building R, or contact the Landscape Horticulture Department at 510/436-2418.