The two-year Landscape Horticulture program is designed to prepare students for employment in the green industry. One or more certificates in Landscape Horticulture will be awarded upon satisfactory completion of the requirements listed below. Certificates at the Basic, Intermediate, and Specialist/Professional levels are available. This program is designed to lead to a vocational competency-based Associate in Science degree or transfer to a four-year institution. Graduates can find employment in landscape design and construction, landscape maintenance, nurseries, and golf and sports turf-related fields. Courses are offered during both the day and evening.
- The AS degree in Landscape Horticulture will be awarded upon satisfactory completion of the General Education requirements and the Major course requirements of one of the Level C programs. Certificates of Achievement will be awarded for satisfactory completion of Level C requirements. Certificates only (and not the AS degree) are awarded for completion of the Level A and Level B requirements.
- In addition to the above AS degree, Merritt College now offers an AA degree in Landscape Architecture. This program prepares students to work in landscape architecture offices or continue their studies at other institutions, and additionally satisfies the educational requirement needed to sit for the state licensing exam.
- The certificate in Basic Landscape Horticulture is intended for those students who are limited to a one-year program. Graduates with this certificate can find employment at the basic or entry level in grounds maintenance, or as a park worker or gardener.
- An advanced certificate in Landscape Design and Construction enables students to find employment with landscape design and construction firms, as independent landscape designers, or, with state certification, as landscape contractors.
- Students with a certificate in Nursery Management can find employment in local retail and wholesale nurseries. Students have also successfully started their own specialty nurseries.
- Students who successfully complete the advanced certificate in Landscape and Parks Maintenance can find employment with city parks or other municipal departments, or with commercial landscape firms. Many students work either independently or with landscape maintenance companies.
- In addition to the above programs, Merritt College also offers a Certificate of Proficiency in Permaculture Design. Note that the Certificate of Proficiency is not indicated on the student’s transcript.
Some students use their time at Merritt as a stepping stone to enter advanced programs within the California State University system or at the University of California, acquiring Bachelors, Masters or even Doctorate degrees. Most of our academic courses numbered 001-099 are transferable to the CSU system, and some are also transferable to UC.