The Merritt College Landscape Horticulture Department’s Spring Plant Sale was held the first weekend in May — May 4 and 5, 2013. A big THANK YOU to the community for supporting our fund-raising efforts!
- Saturday May 4, 9am-3pm — Plant Fair! Plants, Food, Music, and Vendors.
- Sunday May 5, noon-3pm — Plants Only.
On Saturday, our Plant Fair was be accompanied by Food, Music and Vendors! Companies represented included Tree Wolf, The Urban Farmer Store, Irrigation Equipment Co. and Hida Tool.
Plants available included:
- Heirloom annual spring and summer vegetable starts including over 50 varieties of Tomatoes including ultra-early, heirlooms and hybrids, 20 varieties of Peppers for the Bay Area, more than 10 varieties of Heirloom Beans, fog tolerant Melons, many varieties of Cucumbers, Squash and Corn, 8 varieties of Kale, 13 varieties of Broccoli and Cauliflower, 8 varieties of Chard, and many types of Cabbage, Collards, and other spring greens and salad crops.
- Rare fog-tolerant grapes like Emeryville Pink, Baharat Early, Venus and Early Muscat.
- Unusual perennial greens like Okinawa Spinach, Malabar Spinach, and Erba Stella (Minutina), Sea Beet, Tree Collards and more.
- Unique perennial and Andean vegetables: Yacon, Mashua, Ulluco, Cape Gooseberry (Inca berry), Perennial Arugula, Artichoke, Asparagus, and more.
- Attractive edible fruiting shrubs: Chilean Guava, Strawberry Guava, Che (Melonberry), Mora de Castilla, Maqui Berry
- Cool-summer adapted fruit trees and vines like: Passionfruit, Kiwi, Hardy Kiwi, Boysenberry, Ollallieberry, Raspberry, Eversweet Pomegranate, Negronne Fig, Black Mission Fig, and Trovita Orange.
- A wide selection of Four Winds plants such as Dwarf Citrus, Avocados and Blueberries at affordable prices.
- Permaculture nitrogen-fixers and guild builders; Leucaena, Comfrey, Horseradish, and more.
- Also a wide variety of California natives (including edible natives), Mediterranean climate plants (Australia, South Africa, Chile) and unusual perennials.
Since it’s not too soon to plan for the next sale, here are the inventories of what we had:
And, we had many volunteer opportunities for this Plant Sale. Click here for a summary.